T-2 Subminiature Aquarium Lighting. Via Aqua T8 Light replacement

LED T8 aquarium lighting tube is alternative for fresh fish and saltwater tank
Photo provided by Flickr

Even though the watts are higher on the T-12, the T-8 is more efficient with less wattage. The T-8 is the more common bulb/lamp size in many basic aquarium lights.
There are very few bulbs for the 30
Photo provided by Flickr
Philips 15-Watt T8 Plant and Aquarium Linear Fluorescent light bulb is ideal for use in freshwater aquariums or for growing indoor plants. It provides 410 Lumens of light and lasts for at least 7,500 hours. Philips Plant and Aquarium light bulb helps cast the right light spectrum that is needed for growing plants indoors and keeping fish happy. lower power T8 or T5 LED aquarium tubes are for the tank lighting, high power tubes are for growing water plant and coral growing.
Photo provided by FlickrHow To Make: DIY Aquarium Light (t8 light fixture build) - YouTube
Photo provided by FlickrAqueon T8 Actinic Blue Light Fluorescent Aquarium Lamp, 17 Watts
Photo provided by Flickr
Fluorescent aquarium lighting comes in all different colors and sizes. When choosing the right lighting system for your aquarium you should fully understand all of the options before making a decision. One of the most common lighting size options is the T12 light fixture. This fixture is being replaced more and more by a smaller more efficient version called T8 fluorescent lights. This article will explain the differences in cost and efficiency between the T12 and T8 light fixtures.Just did a little video on information concerning T8 lighting. T8s are pretty similar to T12s and can usually use the same fixture. T8s though, are slimmer I believe they are an inch in diameter. They also have better power efficiency, not by much, but it still counts and are usually a tad, brighter, than T12s with normal outputs. They are most commonly found in Aqueon (All Glass Aquarium) hoods (the deluxe hoods and lights) as a single strip, with some kind of ballast system (haven't really looked too in-depth into this). They used to have starters or ignighters (like I show in the video) like most T12s. They have about the same lifespan as T12 bulbs which is about a 9-15 months (depending), though they might last slightly longer. Other than that reliability, price, and durability are all about the same.

I do not suggest buying these fixtures if that is what you are looking for. Though I have had success growing light plants with them and they would work for fish only tanks, they are really going to start phasing out (if not already like T12s). If you are looking at buying a new fixture for your aquarium with a light budget in mind, go with T5s, single or double, either way they are leaps and bounds better than T8s. Not only that, the fixtures make this only true to an even higher degree.

Just some information that might help you make better decisions with aquarium lighting. If you have any questions drop me a line.

THANKS, for tuning in!Both T12 and T8 lighting options are available in a variety of different lengths to meet your aquatic needs. From as short as two feet in length to as long as six feet, there are many choices to customize your own aquarium lighting.T12 light fixtures run with magnetic ballasts which is less energy efficient than the T8 option that runs with electrical ballasts. The magnetic ballasts cost more to operate than electrical ballasts and can be quite a bit noisier while running. The T8 light bulbs run cooler and provide superior light and color quality. This allows for a more natural lighting in the aquarium than can be provided by the T12 light bulbs.