Find Fish Tank Chlorine | Drs. Foster & Smith

vitamin C for chlorine removal? - Fish Tank
Photo provided by Flickr
Needing help??? I just filled up my 20 gallon aquarium with tapwater is it safe to just let the filter run in the tank with no fish for a week then put my fish in there will the water be safe and all the chlorine be out of the Fish tank by evaporation
But the assertion that chlorimine stays in your tank for ever and will kill any fish you add at any time is flat out false.
Photo provided by Flickr
When chloramine happens to pass through the fishes gills and therefore enters the bloodstream of the fish, it starts to react with the hemoglobin forming itself into Methemoglobin. After this formation, the the fish will suffer low oxygen in their bodily tissues because their hemoglobin’s are being replaced. Hemoglobin’s are responsible for oxygenating the blood. To put it another way, you can think of this as a kind of suffocation. Fish that are exposed to high levels of chloramine typically exhibit severe and immediate reactions to the substance. Rapid gasping and darting around the tank are generally the first symptoms but quickly followed by close to immediate death. Hi guys, how often do I have to change water in ma fish tank n hw often do I dechlorinate the water?
Photo provided by FlickrDo It Yourself Chlorine Remover - Fish Tank
Photo provided by FlickrChlorine Water Added Into Fish Tank!!! | My Aquarium Club
Photo provided by Flickr
Most people use tap water in their tanks; it is easiest (and cheapest)to use. Unfortunately (for aquarists), local water companies addchemicals to the water to make it safe to drink (e.g., by addingchlorine or chloramine to kill bacteria). More recently, concernabout water flowing through (older) lead pipes has caused some waterutilities to add pH-raising chemicals to the water (lead dissolvesless readily in alkaline water). Consequently, tap water must bespecially treated before it can safely be used in fish tanks.Though the dosages of these chemicals in the water supply are lowenough that they are not harmful to land animals (including people,dogs, cats, hamsters, horses, etc) or house plants, they are highenough to cause damage to your biological filter. This damage willallow ammonia to start to build up in the tank, eventually becomingharmful to your fish. For this reason it is important that you treatyour water to remove chlorine with an appropriate dechlorinator beforeyou add it to your tank.Chloramine poses two significant headaches for aquarists. First,chlorine-neutralizing chemicals such as sodium thiosulfate onlyneutralize the chlorine portion of chloramine, neglecting an evenbigger problem: deadly ammonia. The consequences can be devastating tofish. Although a tank's biological filter will (eventually) convertthe ammonia to nitrate, the time it takes to do so may be longer thanwhat your fish can tolerate.I have also had some issues with some of the "fancier"dechlorinators in tanks with reptiles or amphibians (frogs, turtles,newts, salamanders, etc.), and with other "fancier" dechlorinators intanks with invertebrates (crayfish, lobsters, shrimp, snails,etc.). My recommendation in this case would be to use a regulardechlorinator without unnecessary additives.One common problem that occurs with some of the "fancier"dechlorinators, is that they can leave a buildup over time. This isparticularly of concern in , in tanks where the product has been over used, or in tankswith insufficient . Keeping yourfish in a large enough tank, keeping the tank well filtered, and beingcareful not to overdose the water treatment can help alleviate this -or you could just use a regular dechlorinator without unnecessaryadditives.Chloramines are harmful when they go directly into the bloodstream, as happens in kidney dialysis. Fish also take chloramines directly into their bloodstreams. That's why chloramines must be removed from water that goes into kidney dialysis machines or is used in fish tanks and ponds.