Aquarium treatments can be purchased to resolve algae problems

Search for Algae Treatment For Aquarium
Photo provided by Flickr
In the case of cyanobacterial (slime algae) blooms, a common treatment is to use antibiotics. These algae are actually bacteria, and things like penicillin will kill them. However, the trivial use of antibiotics in the aquarium should be discouraged. Not only can it produce resistant strains of bacteria, including pathogens, but it can also wipe out your biofilter!
Get Aquarium Algae Treatment Info. Metasearch & Social Results Now.
Photo provided by Flickr
Most algae treatments are akin to the make-up treatment. They somehow treat the algae without attacking the root of the problem. The presence of too much light or too many nutrients causes algae. If too much light is causing the algae problems, the solution is obvious. Many parents decide that an aquarium would make an excellent night-light, and the aquarium light is kept on constantly. These tanks always suffer from problem algae. Others just simply turn the light on in the morning and off before bed, resulting in 16-hours of light. AlgaeFix Freshwater Aquarium Algae Control Treatment Fix API 1.25oz 4oz 8oz 16oz | Pet Supplies, Fish & Aquariums, Cleaning & Maintenance | eBay!
Photo provided by FlickrAquarium Algae Treatment‎
Photo provided by FlickrAlgae has several undesirable effects in aquariums which have probably prompted you to go to great lengths to achieve its successful control and treatment.
Photo provided by Flickr
There are actually several different types of green algae that can be found in aquariums. They can take the form of green hair algae, green spot algae, and green water algae that turns the fish tank into a green fog. Controlling this type of algae is a little easier said than done because each one has slightly different causes of growth and each one requires a slightly different treatment.A word of caution - before using chemical treatments, keep in mind that if algae growth is not severe, and performing regular aquarium maintenance is your best approach to managing algae issues. Use of chemical treatments for any aquarium problem should be considered carefully, because the side effects can cause more problems than they solve.There are a number of algae species that grow into a hairy nasty mess. It’s difficult to specifically identify algae because there are so many kinds and they can look very similar. New types are discovered regularly, and there’s a lack of good reference materials with which to identify algae. In fact, algae is so diverse that some types are more closely related to fungus or animals than plants. If you think crypts, vals, and swords are hard to identify, try getting a good specific identification of your algae. Actually, your nasty ball of hair algae may contain several different species of algae. For the most part, then, we have to talk about algae in general terms and descriptions.
The hair algae I’ll be discussing in this month’s column can refer to any of the long, stringy, nasty, green algae that can invade your aquarium. Algae is often discussed in terms of its color, which is caused by its pigmentation. Chlorophyll is a pigment whose predominance makes most plants and green algae green. Green algae can have other pigments, but they have more chlorophyll. Even within the group of green algae, the organisms are not necessarily closely related. And even when two types of hair algae look the same, they may not be related, and different forms of treatment may be more effective for each type. You may have to experiment with several options before finding something that works.Where did algae come from?
Algae will always exist in the water, even in the tap water. The water treatment process kills almost all algae before sending the water to your home through the pipelines, but all it takes is a single cell algae to start multiplying under the ideal conditions. It means the algae in your aquarium can come from the tap water. It can also come with the water you get your fish or aquatic plants. e.g., the fish store.For the bleach treatment to be effective, the plants have to be treated with diluted bleach and then put in a new aquarium that is free of hair algae. If you treat them and then put them back in the aquarium they came from, the hair algae will just climb back on them and you will have accomplished exactly nothing. Bleach---sodium hypochlorite---is an oxidizing agent, and it is effective only if it kills the hair algae that is attached to a plant without killing the plant. However, the treatment will injure most aquarium plants to some degree. In almost all cases, if given good care after treatment, the injured plant can recover.I usually use Hydrogen Peroxide in a Pipette so I can have control of how much I should use for each treatment, usually, to be safe, I use 5 to 6ml only of normal commercial 10% vol H2O2 that you can find in any supermarket.

1) Turn the Filter/s off! With the Pipette, move all curious aquarium citizens out of the treatment zone! It will harm them if applied directly on top of shrimp or fish. Shrimp are extremely curious little buggers, keep an eye out, they will come to the treatment zone and see what's happening!

2) Fill the Pipette with the H2O2 and get to work! Slowly squeeze and get an even and well distributed amount along the area infected with algae and watch the bubble show! Don't worry, the algae is serving as a catalyst for the H2O2, releasing only O2 and leaving behind some hydrogen in the process, so if used with care, no harm shall me done.

3) The algae shall quickly weaken and leave behind an area with bubbles which clearly shows you where it should be removed. Start removing the algae with a tweezers or with your hand to remove the algae completely from the tank without leaving any behind, if any shall be left behind, it will eventually die off.
As you can see, I used what I call "The Mr. Miyagi Technic" ;D

4) After 24h apply again the same amount on the same area to kill off left over algae spores.

5) Don't forget to do your weekly water change, if you sometimes forget to do so, shame on you (lol) but mostly, the week you treat your aquarium with H2O2, please assure that you do that fresh weekly water change!

And that's it folks! Enjoy!

PLEASE TAKE CARE WHEN USING H2O2 IN YOUR TANK! I SHALL NOT BE LEFT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU MISS-USE THIS TECHNIC!

As usual, no Shrimp or Snails were hurt in the process, they'll even thank me for the free extra O2! ;D